Assistant Manager, Security Services
The Frye Art Museum is a living legacy of visionary patronage and civic responsibility, committed to artistic inquiry and a rich visitor experience. A catalyst for our engagement with contemporary art and artists is the Founding Collection of Charles and Emma Frye, access to which shall always be free.
REPORTS TO: Manager, Security Services
SUPERVISES: Security Personnel
FISA STATUS: Exempt
STATUS: Full-time: $50,000 to $53,000
BENEFITS: Full benefits including medical, dental, vacation accrual, 403b, and more
Administrative Responsibilities (30%):
- Assists in establishing operating procedures, and develops written policies for implementation.
- Drafts and maintains security staff schedules to ensure adequate coverage for the museum’s general operations, programs, and after hour events.
- Reviews and approves time sheets in a timely manner.
- Submit reports as required for budget, incidents, and monthly activity.
- Oversees and ensures accurate record logs of incidents, deliveries, key and card access, daily rotation scheduling, and other daily activities.
Personnel Management (20%):
- Assists with management of Security staff and operations.
- Involved in recruiting, hiring, and discharging of full-time and part-time officers.
- Monitors and supervises all Security staff assigned to gallery posts and security central during daily rotations.
- Conducts annual performance appraisals for Security Department personnel.
On Museum Floor (20%):
- Supplements security officer positions, as needed, to maintain an appropriate level of security.
- Provides security and supervision during Museum after-hour events as needed.
- Ensures escorted access to all non-public areas and install/de-install areas due to the security requirements of the museum.
Other Functions (30%):
- Serves as the primary security representative in the absence of the Manager of Security or Facilities Manager.
- Assists Manager of Security in collaborating with all Museum departments to define security needs as they apply to exhibitions, programs, and operations.
- Ensures security and safety of visitors and employees at all times.
- Serves as a primary key holder of the museum facility.
- Opens, closes and secures the museum facilities on time according to department policy guidelines.
- Monitors operations, investigates and documents all incidents, files reports in a timely manner, and takes appropriate steps to prevent future occurrences.
- Assists in managing confidential and sensitive information regarding a broad range of security-related information topics, including detailed incident reports and investigation documentation.
- Acts as a point-of-contact between the Frye Art Museum and local fire and police departments.
- Ensuring compliance with the Security Union’s Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Must be available 24/7 to monitor and respond to intrusion, fire, and camera alarms during opening and closing hours.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Previous supervisory/managerial (Security, Criminal Justice, Administration, and/ or Emergency Management) experience required.
- Experience with museum gallery security, security systems, building management, and visitor relations is preferred.
- Certification in institutional protection preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly and professionally communicate, both verbally and written, in-person and while using email, telephone, and radio media.
- Ability to multitask, operate as part of a team, and calmly respond to stressful situations.
- Must be able to respectfully engage with the public and staff while enforcing Museum policies.
- Must be attentive and professional in all interactions. Ability to multitask, operate as part of a team, and calmly respond to stressful situations.
- Demonstrate strong problem solving skills.
- Working knowledge of MS Office, Outlook, and Acrobat.
- Must successfully pass a background check.
Work areas are inside, in a climate-controlled environment with light background noise. Work is occasionally performed at other indoor and outdoor event sites. Shift times may vary to meet the Museum's requirement to staff the facilities at all hours. Work may require periods of sustained standing during Museum events.
Physical Activities Required
- Sitting/standing/walking: Approximately 50% of time is spent seated while working at a desk. Balance of time (approximately 50%) is spent standing or moving around the work area. Ability to stand for extended periods of time at Museum events.
- Speaking/hearing: Clear diction and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with the public and co-workers.
- Lifting/carrying/pushing/pulling: The ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds is necessary for moving material and equipment for events.
- Vision: Corrected vision close to 20/20 is necessary to effectively use the computer screens.
- Stooping/kneeling: The ability to stoop and kneel is necessary for accessing files.
- Reaching/handling: Good manual dexterity is necessary for computer keyboard use and for retrieving and working with appropriate paperwork, equipment, and supplies.
How to Apply
The Frye is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, religion, age, marital or veteran’s status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.