THE ORGANIZATION: The Frye Art Museum is a living legacy of visionary patronage and civic responsibility, committed to artistic inquiry and a rich visitor experience. A catalyst for our engagement with contemporary art and artists is the Founding Collection of Charles and Emma Frye, access to which shall always be free.
THE POSITION: Assistant Preparator
DEPARTMENT: Exhibition Design and Installation
REPORTS TO: Manager, Exhibition Design and Production
FLSA STATUS: Part-time, non-exempt
BENEFITS: PTO accrual
The assistant preparator will assist the Manager of Exhibition Design and Production with the planning and implementation of exhibition needs. This position will also maintain and improve shop, prep, and storage areas. The assistant preparator will work 14–21 hours a week between installs, then be expected to work 21–35 hours during each installation period. This position also has the opportunity to take on the weekend tech positions.
- Packing/unpacking and handling art including flatworks and objects.
- Producing drawings for and fabricating museum furniture.
- Testing and setting up AV equipment.
- Matting and framing.
- Maintaining the woodshop and improving storage areas.
- Gallery maintenance.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must pass a background check.
- Minimum 2 years experience preparing and installing exhibits in a museum setting.
- Hand tools such as drills, circular saws, and sanders.
- Woodshop tools such as the table saw and chop saw.
- Matting and framing.
- Familiarity with archival materials and best museum practices.
- Lightweight overhead rigging and suspension.
- AV formatting and installation including projectors and sound systems
- Pedestal and other museum furniture design and fabrication.
- Wall building and demolition
- Wall painting.
- Shop maintenance & organization.
- Proficient with Outlook, Microsoft Word, Photoshop, SketchUp.
- Between installs: Mondays and Tuesdays, 9 am–5 pm
- During installs: Monday–Friday, 9 am–5 pm
- Possibly on-call on weekends as gallery tech (to be negotiated)
Work areas are inside, in a climate-controlled environment with light background noise. Work is occasionally performed at other indoor and outdoor event sites. Work may require long periods of sustained standing during Museum events.
How to Apply
The Frye Art Museum will consider reasonable accommodations for those applicants with disabilities who may need reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions/duties. Please contact the Museum for additional information.
This Job Summary is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of this role at the Frye Art Museum. Employees must maintain a high degree of flexibility in our rapidly changing environment and, as such, may be required to perform additional duties beyond the scope described here from time to time.