Full-Time Café Shift Lead
The Frye Art Museum is a living legacy of visionary patronage and civic responsibility, committed to artistic inquiry and a rich visitor experience. A catalyst for our engagement with contemporary art and artists is the Founding Collection of Charles and Emma Frye, access to which shall always be free.
THE POSITION: Full-Time Café Shift Lead
DEPARTMENT: Café Frieda
REPORTS TO: Café Manager
BENEFITS: Comprehensive medical/dental/vision; paid time off; applicable holiday pay; retirement plan; free shift meal, and more.
- Assumes leadership duties in absence of Café Manager
- Plans daily food production needs, prep list, and side work; delegates responsibilities to café team
- Works with café team to fulfill necessary tasks of service
- Prioritizes tasks and ensures all duties are performed satisfactorily and in a timely manner
- In Café Manager’s absence, places vendor orders and coordinates deliveries with Security; receives deliveries, ensuring accuracy of order, and rotates stock; performs accurate invoice coding to insure timely payment of invoices
- Handles customer feedback with grace and consideration; addresses customer service issues originating in the café, ensuring that each guest has a positive experience
- Welcomes guests at the front counter, offers helpful menu suggestions, and accurately takes customer's orders
- Makes sandwiches, salads, espresso drinks, and other menu items to order, with attention to quality, consistency, and timeliness
- Researches and assists in developing new menu offerings; works with café team to prepare our made-from-scratch recipes
- Maintains a clean dining room and kitchen and performs all duties in compliance with Health Department guidelines
- Assists with small catering projects and works collaboratively with other museum colleagues
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Minimum 2 years restaurant experience
- Customer service and kitchen experience required; barista experience preferred
- Warm and friendly personality; eager to assists guests and provide exemplary customer service
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude even during a busy rush
- Excellent organization, communication, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively with little direct supervision
- Cash-handling experience; accurately opens/closes till and prepares daily deposit for Accounting
- Maintains professional appearance and demeanor at all times
- Maintains safe and clean work environment
- Able to work a flexible schedule
- Able to pass a background check
- Current Food handler's card and MAST permit (or ability to obtain these upon hire)
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and lift/carry up to 50 pounds
This full-time position offers approximately 38-40 hours per week Wednesday through Sunday, with occasional Tuesday shifts covering for colleagues who are out on vacation/sick leave.
Work areas are primarily inside, in a climate-controlled environment, and in our enclosed courtyard. Work is occasionally performed at other indoor and outdoor event sites. Shift times may vary to meet the Museum's requirement to staff the facilities at all hours. Work may require long periods of sustained standing and lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds.
This job summary is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of this role at the Frye Art Museum. Employees must maintain a high degree of flexibility in our rapidly changing environment and, as such, may be required to perform additional duties beyond the scope described here from time to time.