Frye Art Museum – Security Officer Position
THE POSITION: Security Officer
DEPARTMENT: Security Services
REPORTS TO: Manager, Security Services
FISA STATUS: Non-Exempt
STATUS: Full-Time: 35 – 40 hours per week
BENEFITS: Full benefits including medical, dental, vacation accrual, 403b, and more
- Monitors the Museum exhibition galleries to maintain the safety of patrons, staff, and artwork.
- Patrols the Museum collections, equipment, building and grounds to prevent and protect against theft, vandalism, hazards, or threats.
- Rotates as Concierge at the Information Desk.
- Reports changes or physical interactions to artwork, ensuring that logs are properly maintained.
- Monitors the camera and alarm systems.
- Controls and monitors access to secured areas, including checking in and logging staff and guests at the security entrance, and checking bags upon check out.
- Responds to emergency and non-emergency situations by assisting patrons and staff, and contributes to coordination of a quick and effective solution.
- Oversees loading dock activity, delivery and shipments, including art shipments.
- Provide security and supervision during museum after-hour events as needed while collaborating with the Events, Exhibitions, and Facilities Departments.
- Performs the necessary activity to open and close the museum.
- Enforces all Museum policies.
- Participates in training.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Must sufficiently pass a background check.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and professionally in oral and written form.
- Able to respectfully engage with the public and staff while enforcing Museum policies.
- Must be attentive and professional in appearance and in all interactions.
- Ability to multitask, operate as part of a team, and calmly respond to stressful situations.
- Adaptable to a flexible weekly work schedule, including weekends and evenings.
*Union affiliation: This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement between the Frye Art Museum and the Art Workers Union. Both you and the Frye are bound by the terms of the agreement.
Work areas are inside, in a climate-controlled environment within an open office and background noise. Work is occasionally performed at other indoor and outdoor sites. Access to the roof and basement is required. Shift times may vary to meet the Museum's requirement to staff the facilities at all hours.
Physical Activities Required
- Sitting/Standing/Walking: Approximately 50% of time is spent seated while working at a desk. Balance of time (approximately 50%) is spent standing or moving around the work area. Ability to stand for extended periods of time when assisting at Museum events.
- Speaking/Hearing: Clear diction and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with vendors, donors, members, the public, and co-workers.
- Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling: The ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds is necessary for occasional moving of material and equipment.
- Vision: Corrected vision close to 20/20 is necessary to effectively use the computer screens.
- Stooping/Kneeling: The ability to stoop and kneel is necessary for accessing files.
- Reaching/Handling: Good manual dexterity is necessary for computer keyboard use and for retrieving and working with appropriate paperwork, equipment, and supplies.
The Frye Art Museum will consider reasonable accommodations for those applicants with disabilities who may need reasonable accommodation to perform the essential functions/duties.
How To Apply
The Frye is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, religion, age, marital or veteran’s status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.