Visitor Services Representative
The Frye Art Museum is a living legacy of visionary patronage and civic responsibility, committed to artistic inquiry and a rich visitor experience. A catalyst for our engagement with contemporary art and artists is the Founding Collection of Charles and Emma Frye, access to which shall always be free.
The Frye Art Museum is seeking a positive, flexible team player to join the Development Department. The Visitor Services Representative is responsible for creating a superior customer experience for museum visitors, including first time visitors, members and donors, and program participants. The VSR helps to create a positive museum experience for guests from wide-ranging backgrounds, helps promote Museum programs and is a frontline representative for member/donor services.
REPORTS TO: Membership and Events Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
HOURS: 25-28 hours per week. Thurs-Sunday, approx. 10:00am-5:00pm
BENEFITS: Full benefits including medical, dental, vacation accrual, 403b, and subsidized transportation
SALARY: $17.51 hour with benefits
- Greet Museum visitors and serve as an ambassador to provide information about the Museum and its history and building, current and upcoming exhibitions, membership, donations, education programs, and Museum policies
- Address visitor/patron questions and concerns in a courteous, inclusive, and culturally responsive manner in line with the Frye’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility
- Resolve visitor issues or elevate to the Membership and Events Manager or to other departments as appropriate
- Understand and convey Museum protocol, messaging, and safety policies, coordinating with Security, Communications, and other departments as necessary
- Respond to inquiries from visitors, members, and donors (in-person, phone, visitor services email), coordinating or forwarding as necessary with others in the Development Department
- Facilitate patron registrations, new membership purchases, renewed and upgraded memberships and donations
- Maintain the visitor services desk in a visually appealing and organized manner, restock brochures, exhibition guides, etc
- Participate in staff wide DEAI trainings in order to contribute to an inclusive space for visitors/to implement relevant strategies and best practices in this role
- Perform additional duties as requested to support Development colleagues, overall goals, events, and activities
- High School degree or equivalent experience preferred.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a customer service setting.
Work areas are inside, in a climate-controlled environment within an open area with background noise. Work is occasionally performed at other indoor sites. Shift times may vary to meet the Museum's requirement to staff the facilities at all hours.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- SITTING/STANDING/WALKING: Approximately 80% of time is spent seated while working at a desk. Balance of time (approximately 20%) is spent standing or moving around the work area.
- SPEAKING/HEARING: Clear diction and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with the public, and co-workers.
- LIFTING/CARRYING/PUSHING/PULLING: The ability to lift and carry up to 30 pounds is necessary for moving material and equipment for events.
- VISION: Corrected vision close to 20/20 is necessary to effectively use the computer screens.
- STOOPING/KNEELING: The ability to stoop and kneel is necessary for accessing files and materials.
- REACHING/HANDLING: Good manual dexterity is necessary for computer keyboard use and for retrieving and working with appropriate paperwork, equipment, and supplies.
This position description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of this role at the Frye Art Museum. Employees must maintain a high degree of flexibility in our rapidly changing environment and, as such, may be required to perform additional duties beyond the scope described here from time to time.