Gallery Guide Program
The Frye Art Museum is committed to a rich visitor experience. Serving as museum ambassadors, our Gallery Guides welcome and engage with visitors by leading guided interactive tours. Our gallery tours are developed to facilitate personal discoveries about art and to encourage dialogue aimed at enhancing the museum experience for all visitors.
Interested in being a Gallery Guide? Apply today! See below for instructions.
- Commit to at least one full calendar year as a Frye Gallery Guide. (The program coincides with the school calendar—September through August)
- Lead or co-lead at least two tours each month—school (PreK–12th grade), public, or private
- Attend a one-week intensive training in September
- Attend monthly training sessions on the third Friday of every month from 10am – 12pm
- Attend curator led walk-throughs for all new exhibitions
- Prepare for each tour by studying exhibition materials and doing independent research
- Conduct visitor-centered, discussion-based tours in order to create a positive, in-depth museum experience for all visitors
- Participate in the Gallery Guide Mentoring Program
- Represent the Frye Art Museum in a professional manner as an ambassador of the organization
- Follow the Code of Professional Conduct as found in the Frye Volunteer Handbook
After completion of the training, each Gallery Guide commits to giving two school or public tours each month.
- School Tours: offered Tuesday–Thursday from 10 am to 12 pm. Gallery guides are expected to be at the Frye on the day of their tour from 9:30 am to 12:15 pm in order to prepare tour materials.
- Public Tours: offered Tuesday–Sunday at 1 pm, and at 11:30 am on Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday. Happy Hour tours are offered monthly on third Thursdays at 5:30 pm. Gallery Guides are expected to arrive at least fifteen minutes before their scheduled tour.
- Private Tours: offered from 2 to 3 pm. If a private tour is scheduled, the Gallery Guide giving the 1 pm public tour is expected to stay to give the private tour.
- Belief in the mission of the Frye Art Museum and the value of a high-quality, meaningful museum experience
- Desire to learn about and appreciate all forms of visual arts
- Openness to constructive feedback, suggestions, and new ways of thinking
- Strong communication skills and ease in speaking before groups
- Flexibility in dealing effectively with the public
- Ability to engage with diverse groups (children, adults, staff, and volunteers)
- Commitment to the program and associated scheduling needs
- Experience in the field of education and/or customer service (preferred but not required)
- Being an integral part of the Frye and Gallery Guide community
- Continuing education on the Frye permanent collections and special exhibitions
- Free 1-year Membership to the Frye Art Museum, including savings at local establishments
- Invitations to members-only events and opening receptions for new exhibitions
- Advanced registration for programs, lectures, films, and concerts
- Member discount price for all tickets to fee-based programs
- Inclusion in the Museum's annual participation in National Volunteer Week in April
- Volunteer appreciation events
- A 15% discount at Café Frieda and the Museum Store
Gallery Guide applications are now being accepted for the 2019–2020 program. Applications close June 16, 2019.Download the application form (PDF)