The Frye Art Museum is a living legacy of visionary patronage and civic responsibility, committed to artistic inquiry and a rich visitor experience. A catalyst for our engagement with contemporary art and artists is the Founding Collection of Charles and Emma Frye, access to which shall always be free.
POSITION: PT Security Officer
REPORTS TO: Security Manager
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
HOURS: Approximately 20-24 hours per week.
RATE: $19.57 per hour
- Paid time off: vacation, sick time, prorated based on hours worked, available after 90 days
- Nine paid holidays, prorated based on hours worked
- Floating holidays, prorated based on hours worked
- Community/Alternate holidays, prorated based on hours worked
- Employee Assistant Program
- Retirement 403b Plan with 1.5% employer match, available after 90 days
- Employee discount: 15% Museum Store
- Monitors the Museum exhibition galleries to maintain the safety of patrons, staff and artwork.
- Patrols the Museum properties, including collections, equipment, building and grounds to prevent and protect against theft, vandalism, hazards or threats.
- Address visitor/patron questions and concerns in a courteous, inclusive and culturally responsive manner in line with the Frye’s commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility.
- Understand and convey Museum protocol, messaging, and safety policies, coordinating with other departments as necessary.
- Resolve visitor issues or elevate to the Manager/Assistant Manager of Security.
- Rotate at Concierge/Information Desk as needed.
- Report changes or physical interactions to artwork, ensuring that logs are properly maintained.
- Monitor camera and alarm systems.
- Control and monitor access/keys to secured areas, including checking in and logging staff and guests/vendors at the security entrance, and check bags upon check out.
- Respond to emergency and non-emergency situations by assisting visitors/patrons and staff and contribute to coordination of a quick and effective solution.
- Oversee loading dock activity, delivery and shipments, including art shipments.
- Provide security and supervision during museum after-hour events as needed while collaborating with Events, Exhibitions, and Facilities Departments.
- Perform necessary activity to open and close the museum.
- Enforce all Museum policies.
- Participate in ongoing Security training.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Participate in staff wide DEAI trainings in order to contribute to an inclusive space for visitors and to implement relevant strategies and best practices in this role.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and professionally in oral and written form.
- Able to respectfully engage with the public and staff while enforcing Museum policies.
- Must be attentive and professional in appearance and in all interactions.
- Ability to multitask, operate as part of a team, and calmly and respectfully respond to stressful situations.
- Adaptable to a flexible work schedule, including weekends and evenings. Schedule with change based on department needs.
- Able to pass a background check.
- High School degree/Equivalent or equivalent experience preferred.
- Experience in a customer service or security service setting preferred.
*Union affiliation. This position is governed by a collective bargaining agreement between the Frye Art Museum and the Art Workers Union. Both you and the Frye are bound by the terms of the agreement.
Work areas are mainly inside, in a climate-controlled environment within an open office and background noise, and occasionally smells from exhibition construction and de-construction processes. Work is periodically performed at other indoor and outdoor sites, as well as patrolling the outside grounds of the museum and properties. Access to the roof and basement is required. Shifts may vary to meet the Museum’s requirement to staff the facilities at all hours.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES REQUIRED TO PERFORM ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
Sitting/Standing/Walking: Approximately 70% of time is spent standing or moving around while covering security posts. Balance of time (approximately 30%) spent seated while at a desk. Ability to stand for extended periods when assisting at Museum events.
Speaking/Hearing: Clear diction and acute hearing are necessary for effective communication with vendors, donors, members, the public, and co-workers.
Lifting/Carrying/Pushing/Pulling: The ability to lift and carry up to 50 pounds is necessary for occasional moving of material and equipment.
Vision: Corrected vision close to 20/20 is necessary to effectively use the computer screens and to guard the artwork.
Stooping/Kneeling: The ability to stoop and kneel is necessary for accessing files and pick up items.
Reaching/Handling: Good manual dexterity is necessary for computer keyboard use and for retrieving and working with appropriate paperwork, equipment and supplies.
The Frye Art Museum mandates that all employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Note that all employees are asked to adhere to museum guidance and policies for COVID-19, which may change over time.
Candidates should send cover letter and resume with "PT Security Officer" in the subject line to email@example.com. No phone calls please
The Frye is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, religion, age, marital or veteran’s status, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Due to the high volume of applications received, we are only able to contact those candidates whose skills and background best fit the needs of the open positions. In the event that we wish to arrange a personal interview, we will contact you by email or phone.
OUR COMMITMENT TO INCLUSION, DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND ACCESS
We, at Frye Art Museum, believe that the arts are for everyone. We strive to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for colleagues and guests.
Frye Art Museum complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.