The Frye Art Museum is committed to fostering a welcoming and inclusive space for everyone. We prioritize diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility in order to strengthen our organization and our community. The Frye provides a variety of services for visitors stopping by the museum or participating in in-person or virtual programs to make the most of your experience. We will continue to work on our goal of expanding services in order to offer a rich visitor experience for all. If you have any additional questions about accessibility at the Frye, please contact email@example.com.
ONGOING ACCESSIBILITY UPGRADES
In fall 2022, the Frye commissioned a comprehensive facility accessibility audit from Studio Pacifica. We are now working to implement and plan for the necessary facility updates as outlined in their report, which includes design work in the Store, Café, and public restrooms. We thank you for your patience as we work to improve our facilities to be more inclusive.
ACCESSIBILITY ACCOMMODATIONS FOR PROGRAMS AND EVENTS AT THE MUSEUM
- If you are unable to register for programs or events online, you may call us at 206 432 8219 from Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm Pacific Time.
- Assistive listening devices are available upon request for all programs and events in the Frye’s Auditorium. A new set of ear buds is provided for each use. Please ask a staff member for assistance upon check-in.
- ASL Interpreters are available for programs and tours with two weeks' notice. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the program name, date, and number of attendees who will need interpreters.
- Verbal description is available for Private Tours. When completing the tour request form, note under special needs or accommodations that you would like verbal descriptions as part of your tour.
- Limited wheelchair-accessible seating is available for all programs and events at the Frye.
- Care professionals and care partners who accompany visitors are welcome to join programs and events free of charge.
- Live virtual programs will offer live captioning. Closed captioning is available for videos on the Frye’s YouTube channel.
- If you have any additional questions about accessibility for programs and events at the Frye, please contact email@example.com.
Please Note: We apologize for the temporary lack of handrails at the front entrance ramp; they are being replaced as quickly as possible.
Street access and parking on Terry Ave and Columbia St is currently limited due to ongoing construction.
The Frye Art Museum is wheelchair accessible. Two designated load/unload spaces are located at the main Terry Ave entrance, as well as two additional spaces at the Columbia St doors. Designated disabled parking spaces are available to the public on first-come-first-served basis in our private parking lot on the west side of Terry Ave near our Columbia St doors. There are two designated wheelchairs available at the main entrance. For assistance during public hours, please call 206 432 8219.
MOVING THROUGH THE MUSEUM
The Frye’s galleries, restrooms, and facilities are designed in accordance with ADA specifications. A ramp leads visitors to the museum’s front entrance, where power-assisted doors are available, and the museum’s galleries, auditorium, café, and Store are located on a single floor.
At the Visitor Services Desk, we also provide the following complimentary rentals on a first-come-first-served basis:
- Pair of crutches
- Portable folding chairs
- Glasses for color blindness
Elevators provide access to spaces with stairs, including the Art Studio and Administrative Offices.
- The museum is quietest between 11 am and 1 pm on Thursdays and Fridays. Please note that there tends to be a higher number of visitors on the weekends and holidays.
- Lighting in the galleries may be dimmed for some exhibitions for display or conservation purposes.
- Large print label booklets are available at the Visitor Services Desk for select exhibitions.
- When available, exhibition text in select languages other than English may be posted in the galleries, accessed on your personal device via QR codes, or by request at the Visitor Services Desk.
- Learn more about the Frye's COVID-19 response.
Benches are located throughout the museum. Mobility scooters are permitted in the galleries.
Multi-stall restrooms are located in the hallway by the museum Store as well as past the Auditorium near the Columbia St. doors. All restrooms are fully wheelchair accessible. We are working towards updating our facilities to meet state administrative code requirements for gender-neutral restrooms. We anticipate a phased renovation in 2024, making all restrooms fully accessible and gender neutral by the end of that year. In the meantime, we invite you to please use the bathroom that most closely aligns with your gender identity.
Trained service dogs are welcome to assist visitors in the museum. Pets are not allowed.
CLOSED CAPTIONING & TRANSCRIPTS
Some exhibition videos have closed captioning in English. If a video does not have closed captioning, transcripts are available.
Assistive listening devices are available upon request for all programs and events in the Frye’s Auditorium. A new set of ear buds is provided for each use. Please ask a staff member for assistance upon check-in.
CREATIVE AGING PROGRAMS
The Frye offers a range of programs for older adults and adults living with dementia and their care partners.